.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 13, 2003

NOTICE THEY DIDN'T PUT OUT A REWARD FOR FINDING HACKERS



My theory as to why Microsoft will only reward people who lead them to virus and worm instigators, without saying a word about even major hackers, is that there are too many of them. They'd go broke passing out all those rewards. Microsoft has already been hacked I heard, and maybe they don't like using the H word. My hacker got a message to me through BlogPatrol, my statistics website, that I should get my computer up and running so he or they can use it to hack Dell. I guess they thought I'd jump for joy at that one and eagerly re-install the Windows for them. True, I hate Dell for not standing by my four-year warranty, and leaving me computerless three months after I purchased a computer, but I'll be damned if they're using my computer to hack anything--not even the White House. If I can't use it, no one can.

But tell me I'm not narrowing the search for the hacker. None of the usual tools work. They have disabled everything. Ipconfig doesn't work. All the net commands are disabled. None of the hostname things work. The best tools for finding out who's at the other end of your remote network are all on Windows XP Professional, the mere peons get zilch. Anyhow, I've seen the 811. and LANs stuff in the files. I know they are within 1,000 feet. I think I have narrowed it down to the right neighbor. Tell me what you think: There is this 20-something who lives with his mother and sister in the garden apartment. He dresses in what you might call an independent mode. You wouldn't really classify him as anything but you would observe that he's not run of the mill--some might say odd. He works part-time at the local coffee shop. I saw him in there recently and something in my head just clicked. "It's him," my brain said, after weeks of unfairly believing it was the people upstairs from me.

So, out of nowhere that he expects I'm sure, I say, "Do you have a computer?" first thing out of my mouth. He looks flustered and mumbles that he does. "What kind?" I demand to know. Now how's this for a suspicious answer from a kid who's at an age and lifestyle where you would expect he'd know what kind of computer he has? He says, "Oh, I don't know. It's old. I got it from my aunt." Then he turns his back to me and stares out the window until I leave. I let it go.

That night I put a tiny voodoo robot toy with a crab-like creature clawing its stomach area and a missing right hand outside his door. It is gone the next morning. The next day I put a tiny toy stop sign. It, too, is gone the following morning. Then I am doing laundry in the basement and have to walk past their apartment windows several times. The shades don't quite cover the windows on the sides. I peek in and see a new laptop with built-in wireless antenna.

Now to prove it. Tonight I went to a forum at www.whitehats.com. First I went to blackhats, but it seems they mostly work with businesses. Everyone wants to help big businesses. I have yet to find anyone who wants to help an individual who is hacked. My reason for looking at the "hats" today is because sometimes I think the only way I'll get rid of this hacker is to find another hacker to help me.

I found an online publication for people who hate AOL or just want to make fun of it. I'll pass it along when I find it again. Here's what they did to me lately. I haven't used AOL in months since I can't get online but I keep it in case I ever get my computer back and want to download patches and firewalls in a hurry. This month my credit card company alerted me to suspicious charges by AOL. It turns out they charged me not once but twice for charges to an account opened by, get this, MsRefusnik. And here I thought she was just one of my screennames. According to AOL she is real. She got drunk one night and told my master screenname that it was over between them. She said she was going solo and the result was that although I am the one and only user (or non-user as of late) I had two accounts to pay for. AOL argued with me that lots of people like to have more than one account and they didn't find it odd at all. It was a lot of crazy phone calls before I got the account canceled and maybe the charges too.

See ya.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?