.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 18, 2003

NOW HE'S CENSORING OUR E-MAILS


Nine Web pages and a detailed form, complete with provided lists of categories of acceptable subject topics, will now keep Bush from even reading e-mails that disagree with his party rule--one of the key questions being, "Do you support White House policy?"

For some crazy reason every encroaching sign of his dictatorship in our former democracy continues to amaze me. I was actually shocked when I read this in today's New York Times. His people have the audacity to try to camouflage this new e-mail system as "an effort to be more responsive to the public and offer the administration 'real time' access to citizen comments. (Just like the other fiasco to be responsive to regular folks: the 30-minute online forum. Edgy, timely, straight from the hip guests like the White House photographer, showing his photos of King George frolicking on the grounds with cherubic children. What? Me worry?)

The article quotes Jimmy Orr, the White House Internet news director, who describes the system as an enhancement. He says you can inquire about policy issues and expect a personalized response in 24 to 48 hours.

So we'll just see. The proof is in the pudding, Grandma always said. I am willing to give this "user-friendly" bullshit a shot and send him an e-mail and see what happens. I will, of course, have to check any box that indicates that no, I don't support White House policy. Of course, they don't say WHAT response to expect. I may not get a return e-mail. I may just get more notes next to my name on their lists of suspected traitors or whatever it is that they've been keeping since Patriot Act.

I am going to ask the Fuhrer an honest question about why he is saying that he will veto any appropriations bill with FCC limitations. I will explain to him that over two million people have demonstrated that they want a diverse media. ( And to take it to where he might give a flying fig); doesn't this bipartisan support reflect an issue that could cost him in the election? Why is he against a diverse media? Isn't that part of living in a democracy?

I'll let you know what it's like and what happens. Or, you can try it yourself: Here's where the long and winding road begins: We're off to see the Wizard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from seeing the wizard. One of the first questions is whether I agree or disagree with Bush's policies. Of course, I had to put disagree, which probably earns me an instant delete. We'll see. Here's the e-mail I sent:

Dear President Bush, (That part is a form so you can't let your imagination and creative talents go wild, I'm afraid.)

I want to ask you why you say that you would veto any appropriations bill with any FCC limitation amendments if one reached your desk. As a representative of the American people, doesn't it make a difference that more than two million people have demonstrated in some fashion that they want a diverse media? Isn't that part of living in a democracy? Caring about what the people want AND having a diverse media?

Besides, this bipartisan issue could come back to get you in the election. Do you care about that?

What I care about is allowing my children to listen to free radio, not pablum. I care about letting my children see a wide range of television programming, not just what a handful of white men deem suitable for them.

Sincerely,


MsRefusnik (I did sign my real name and even address)

Okay, now we wait and see)

So What Do YOU Think? COMMENTS?




Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?