.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 25, 2003

MICHAEL K. POWELL WON'T YOU DANCE WITH ME--400-21

MsRefusnik apologizes for not being here yesterday to celebrate with you all, but she was out partying her patooties off or whatever it is the kids say. I am thrilled by the 400-to-21 vote in the House of Representatives Wednesday that will keep the likes of Rupert Murdoch from owning enough television stations to reach 45 percent of American viewers. We watched this grassroots movement take place from the earliest telephone calls and e-mails, didn't we? I read in Mediareform.network that members of the FCC and Congress have received "an estimated 2.3 million communications from Americans," opposing the new rules on media ownership. Imagine what Bush got. I guess now I understand why he didn't answer my e-mail about this. Mediareform quotes Congressman Jay Inslee called it a "tsunami" of public pressure changing the course of Congress after years where the media companies' powerful lobbies just came in and took what they wanted with few objections.

So what now? Well, it really is too early to be celebrating I know, but I couldn't help it. Just thinking about all those Republicans crossing over to vote for what's right, regardless of what the boss wants, got me dancing in the street. I guess they're not as lockstep as I thought. Does this bode well for the election, or am I reading too much into it? I'm such a dreamer but it keeps me going.

But the realilty is the national TV cap was the least substantive rule change. We've got to change the rules on cross ownership and local TV consolidation. There is a "Resolution of Disapproval" that has strong support in the Senate, and then would come to the House. This would repeal all of the FCC rules.

We tried to do too much too fast perhaps. The Hinchey-Price-Inslee amendment asking for a full roll back lost. But it did receive a surprising 174 votes which included 34 Republicans, and this was more than people thought possible.

To see how your Representative voted on the Hinchley/Price/Inslee amendment, go to: http://clerkweb.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.exe?year=2003&rollnumber=407

I'm in for the long haul, and I'm saying things are looking good for September. I also want to say, based on my gut feelings, the polls, and current events, that things are looking better for 2004. Now if the Dems would just get it together. I need someone to get behind and I just don't feel it. You know what I'm saying?


So What Do YOU Think? COMMENTS





Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?