.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 21, 2003

Don't think I haven't notice the paintball ads above. For two days now it's been mostly paintball ads. I'm not laughing.

I'm still trying to figure out why you're all here. And I'm still going crazy trying to get comments that work. This morning I told Jonathan from Enetation that I would gladly donate, if he could just come and fix the comments. He did come--all the way from the UK--and I forgot that I had ripped most of it out. There wasn't enough to work with. He'll need to make the trip again, and without the Concord too. I went and donated $14 to Paypal-- after just telling Yariv at BackBlog that there was no way I was paying anything for comments when there are so many free comment services. But he was trying to scam me.

So I will have comments maybe by tomorrow. I hope Jonathan will not just send the code but put it in. I gave him the password to my blog. I am tired of code. If I could figure out code I would put MP3 links on my website to play songs on winamp when you clicked on a word. That's what I would like to do. I had a beautiful surprise in one of my favorite blogs, Semi Compos Mentis the other day. When you click go to the first link--Rainbow--in Thursday, July 17th. I love it! I always wanted that. She is my hero. What a blog that is. She has everything for everybody.

Get this. All this pandering for comments has netted me two comments. It was all worth it because of one of them. More on that in a minute. But get this: I have had this, my first computer, for approximately three months. I don't know how to put a link on the quick launch or find the clipboard, no less use it. Here is the e-mail I received. I didn't laugh at the poor lady. But if you check out her web site, and rabid Republican writing, you can see why she might be paranoid:


Subj: hacked?
Date: 7/20/2003 6:22:56 PM Central Standard Time
From: joanne@joannejacobs.com
To: MsRefusnik@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)


When I call up my site -- JoanneJacobs.com -- I get "I Don't Sleep at
Night" instead.

???????


-- Joanne Jacobs
www.joannejacobs.com


I was very nice and wrote her back about the impossibility of my hijacking her site or anyone's site. She wrote me back that she used to think "computers were science. I now know they are witchcraft."
So that was one of the two interesting comments I got out of all the hundreds of commentless people who passed through the website.

The other comment, from a man named Dale, made it all worthwhile--including the nights I've been here till 4:00 a.m. researching and writing, and the next day only had three readers.

I expected so much women-bashing from missing links and neanderthals, and instead I got this beautiful e-mail complimenting my blog and my prose. So now I'm drunk on flattery. I think Jonathan better come quick with the comments. If I got a letter like this with jerry-rigged comments, think what I might catch with a professional comment service just like downtown. I'm mad with power. Thank you Dale. I will work longer, harder, now. I have a positive reader.

That's about it for tonight. I'm too busy checking my stats over at Blogpatrol to see how many people are coming in every hour. It's amazing. But that doesn't mean my number one search draw isn't still packing them in every day. Old faithful--the perennial eplpdx02--is still a favorite. And, by the way, I am still not receiving any errors about mine. It's there and it's working quietly. I just checked it. These days most of what my event log gives me is information instead of errors.

If people wrote me comments I'd know if I helped some of them fix their eplpdx02 driver, but I'm left to wonder. I should guess used to it I guess. I'm Irish and we Irish like to fantasize about our wakes. When I was younger I, of course, imagined the hysterical sobbing and gnashing of teeth befitting a loss like myself. Now as I age into an old curmudgeon, I have to hope my family skips the whole ordeal. Because if they don't, people will just SIT there. I would hate for them to just sit there. Then maybe one or two would get up and say to one of my sisters, "She was sure a character." What a noble obituary. Not fair. I want a do-over. I want nice comment sheets filled out at that wake, and I want them mailed to me wherever I might be. There must be something nice they could say. I didn't torture animals, and I never killed anyone. Come on.


So What Do YOU Think? COMMENTS?








Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?